Pizza is a well-known dish all over the world. It comes in various sizes and shapes. Itâ€™s served with different toppings and dough base and maybe this is the reason for its fame. There are many pizza variations which can satisfy oneâ€™s personal taste. It could be found on the menus of fast food chains to exquisite restaurants in almost every country. Itâ€™s easy make a pizza at home too.
Interesting Pizza Facts
- Americans consume around 251,770,000 pounds of pepperonis annually.
- 36% of all pizza orders come with pepperoni toppings.
- Pizza takes up 10% of all food service sales.
- The average American eats around 46 pizza slices a year.
- 5 billion pizzas are sold worldwide annually.
- Kids between 3 and 11 favor pizza for lunch and dinner.
- The origin of the word â€˜pizzaâ€™ comes from the Latin word â€˜piceaâ€™ which literary means the process of blackening the crust by exposing it to fire.
- In America, the most popular pizza is the thin crust pizza. 61% of people prefer this type of pizza, while deep-dish pizza has only 14% of fans, and only 11% of people surveyed prefer the extra thin crust version .
- 62% of U.S. citizens prefer meat toppings, while 38% love vegetables on top of their pizzas.
- Two times more women prefer vegetable pizzas than men.
- Pizza consumption is most popular on Saturday night.
- Pizzerias represent 17% of all restaurants and fast food chains.
- About 36% of people think pizza is great choice for breakfast.
- The most popular pizza size in America is 14 inches in diameter.
Popular pizza types
Although pizza recipes vary in every country, there are two popular types.
The first is thin crust pizza, also known as Neapolitan or New York style pizza. It is characterized by thin crispy edges and soft thin layer beneath the toppings. Itâ€™s similar to the original Italian pizza. The other variation is deep pan pizza or Chicago style pizza. This has a higher edge and deeper surface which allows more ingredients to be added. There is a sub variant called stuffed pizza.
Hundreds of recipes exist for both types of pizzas and you can choose whatever toppings you like. Many restaurants and fast food chains offer gluten-free pizzas. However, the classic base for thin crust pizza consists of a thin layer of tomato sauce and grated mozzarella over high-gluten dough. The deep pan pizza is made with a rich base of tomato sauce and lots of cheese. The crust is high to hold the many ingredients. When it comes to nutrition, itâ€™s logical to assume that deep pan pizza has much more calories than the thin crust one.
Pizza Nutritional Facts
Letâ€™s check out how much fat, carbs, protein and calories a single slice of your favorite pizza has.
Thin Crust Pizza:
Cheese pizza contains 9.27g of fat per slice. It provides 21.79g of carbs and 9.25g of protein and has 208 calories.
- Vegetable toppings will increase the carbs to 23.99g but will lower the fat to 8.11g and the protein to 8.59g with a total of 202 cals.
- Meat pizza contains 11.16g of fat, 20.56g of carbs, 9.25g of protein and has a total of 223 calories.
- Meat and vegetable topping provides 11.87g of fat, 22.80g of carbs, 10.26g of protein and 239 calories.
It becomes clear that cheese and vegetable pizza has less calories than the rest, while meat and vegetable pizza contains the most calories.
Deep Pan Pizza:
A slice of cheese deep pan pizza contains: 22g of fat, 31g of carbs,16g of protein and around 580 calories.
- Vegetable deep pan pizza has 30g of fat, 55g of carbs, 29g of protein and 610 calories.
- Adding meat toppings will result in 620 calories, 33g of fat, 48g of carbs and 33g of protein per slice.
- The meat and vegetable variation has 730 calories, 44g of fat, 50g of carbs and 35g of protein.
Deep Pan Pizza contains much more calories than thin crust pizza. However, thin crust pizza is still is preferred by many because of its rich flavor.
Both types of pizza have their own charm and are extremely tasty. If you’re the type of person who donâ€™t count your calories intake or a person who sticks strictly to your food regime, you can easily find the type of pizza which suits your taste and preferences. No matter which type of pizza you choose, your taste buds will be delighted.