Mexican food can be challenging to determine whether it is healthy or not. It usually contains high amount of saturated fat and calories. It is due to cheese and refried beans that go into it. Nevertheless, you have to bear in mind that the American fast food version of burrito may not have much to do with the real Mexican burrito. American burritos are really tasty, but many are avoiding them because they think they are unhealthy. Truth is, that only applies to certain types of burritos. Most burritos sold in fast food chains contain too much calories and fat. You can always try to make healthier burritos at home.
Surprisingly, there are some health benefits in burritos. Knowing these benefits will help you to make right choices when you order from fast food chain, or try to make some burritos at home.
There is a difference between fast food burritos and the frozen ones. Generally, frozen burritos are considered to have less calories because they are smaller than those sold in fast food restaurants. Try to buy the frozen alternative if you want to reduce your calorie intake.
Warning! High Sodium
Pay attention to your sodium intake. Fast food burritos have a lot of sodium. If you consume more than 2.3 g of sodium a day, that may harm your health. If you eat more sodium than necessary, you are increasing your blood pressure which may lead to heart problems. You can easily lower your sodium intake by preparing burritos at home and use toppings with low-salt content.
They come from the ingredients that go into the making of burritos.
- Wheat is used for the tortilla preparation. Wheat is known for its health benefits. It improves metabolism. It also enhances the digestive process which improves metabolism as a whole. It also prevents type 2 diabetes due to its magnesium content. It controls sugar levels and reduces chronic inflammation, prevents the formation of gallstones and protects against breast cancer and asthma. It also lowers the risk of heart attack.
- Avocado is incredibly healthy. This superfood contains 20 vitamins and minerals. Among those nutrients are vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B5, B6, E, B2 and B1. Actually, the avocado contains more potassium than bananas. It serves different important functions. Regular potassium intake is proven to lower blood pressure. High blood pressure is linked to heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure. Avocado also contains monounsaturated fatty acids which are good for your heart. It reduces inflammation and the fiber is responsible for weight loss, proper digestion. The superfood also keeps normal blood levels by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Beans contain fiber, benefiting heart health since it lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Beans also provide protein to the body. In fact, they are richer in protein than poultry or fish. They also balance blood sugar to prevent heart attacks and heart diseases. This is because beans are digested slowly and slower digestion means that blood glucose is stabilized during the whole process. The amount of antioxidants in beans reduces the chance of cancer development. Beans can even contribute to weight loss since they makes us feel full for longer without being high in calories. They also contain nutrients such as iron, folate, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc.
- Chili peppers can prevent diseases and improve overall health. Chilies contain capsaicin, an alkaloid compound which is proven to have antibacterial and analgesic properties. It also prevents the development of cancer and diabetes. It also reduces cholesterol levels. Chili peppers are also a great source of vitamin C. They keep bones, organs and blood vessels strong and healthy, boosting immunity and eliminating free radicals from the body. Chilies also contain minerals like magnesium and iron, all of which play important roles in body functions and health. Chilies do not contain cholesterol, making them really healthy.
- Tomatoes have great antioxidant benefits. They are rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, manganese, vitamin E, flavonols, hydroxycinnamic acids and fatty acid derivatives. All of them are really beneficial for your health. Tomatoes also keep the cardiovascular system healthy with their antioxidants content. Tomatoes keep the blood flow normal and regulate fats in the blood, support bone health and protect you from various kinds of cancer. A diet with a lot of tomatoes can prevent obesity and Alzheimerâ€™s disease.
As you can see, the burritoâ€™s ingredients can be really healthy. However, please still be exercising caution when you order burritos in fast food resaturants because they contain lots of of fat and sodium.
Average Burrito Nutrition Value
|Serving size: 1 medium burrito||Fat(g)||Carbs(g)||Protein(g)||Calories|
|Burrito with beef||33.5||56.5||45||721|
|Burrito with beef and beans||22||58||28||547|
|Burrito with beef, beans and cheese||33||48||34||628|
|Burrito with chicken||14||41||40||455|
|Burrito with chicken and cheese||35||33||48||645|
|Burrito with chicken, beans and cheese||25||44||33||535|
|Burrito with rice, beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato and guacamole||30||61||23||599|