Cinnamon was once so highly-prized as a commodity, it was more valuable than gold! The spice, gathered from the inner bark of the Cinnamomum plant, has been used for centuries as a food preservative, a flavour-enhancer, and as a medicine for colds and digestive problems.
Today, we can buy it in any supermarket, in bark or ground form, and wouldn’t think twice about adding it to a variety of sweet or savoury foods. And although it is no longer valuable in a monetary sense, its true value as a health booster is only just being discovered. Here’s why:
- There is real and growing evidence that cinnamon could be incredibly useful in the battle against type-2 diabetes. Its ability to regulate blood-sugar levels and increase insulin production are proving to have positive results on those already suffering from the disease, and in those who take it preventatively.
- A small amount of cinnamon every day seems to have the effect of lowering cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- Cinnamon seems to have anti-fungal properties, and is effective on yeast-infections that have become resistant to conventional medicine.
- There is evidence to suggest that cinnamon can slow the growth of leukemia and lymphoma cells.
- The delicious combination of cinnamon and honey actually provides arthritic pain relief.
- Because of its ability to regulate blood-sugar levels, cinnamon can be harnessed as an aid in weight loss.
- Many believe that cinnamon is an effective treatment for headaches and migraines.
Cinnamon – Discover the benefits:
Although side effects of taking cinnamon are minimal, there are certain things to be aware of:
Do make sure you buy real cinnamon; there is a relative of cinnamon called Cassia, which has the same flavour, but fewer of the health benefits of cinnamon itself.
Also, be aware that including too much cinnamon in your diet may be counter-productive; cinnamon in high dosages can be toxic, and have adverse effects on the liver. Half a spoonful a day is a sensible amount to keep your intake to.
Although cinnamon’s ability to regulate blood-sugar levels could be an invaluable health-tool, those already taking medication to do just this should definitely consult their doctor before adding the spice to their diet- the supplement could cause your blood-sugar levels to drop too low.
As we always recommend, pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their doctor before supplementing their diet.
Medical Studies Show:
- A study from 2003 from the medical journal Diabetes Care showed that cinnamon had the ability to reduce blood-sugar levels, triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood.
- A study at the Beltsville Human Nutrition Center showed that including cinnamon in the diet of a type-2 diabetes sufferer could reduce risk factors associated with the disease, and also reduce those associated with cardiovascular disease.
- A study at the University of Maryland also found that cinnamon lowered blood-sugar levels and cholesterol levels in the blood.
- In research conducted at Copenhagen University, cinnamon and honey in combination were found to decrease the pain of arthritis in sufferers within just a month. http://docakilah.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/the-health-benefits-of-cinnamon/
- In a study published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, research showed that cinnamon could slow the growth and spread of lymphoma cancer cells.
What the Press Says:
BBC News: (Click article for full size)
Yahoo! News: (Click article for full size)
What People on the Web Say:
It helped my diabetes!
I have been a Type 2 diabetic since 1978 taking medication and using insulin. May I just say wow about my blood sugar level and how happy I am my legs are not swollen or painful anymore!â€“ Rowena Carlton
I would never have believed it!
Only thing I can say is if I did not see it with my own eyes I would not believe it.â€“ Rick Cortez
My doctor noticed the difference!
I recently went to the doctor for a check up- he is scratching his head because everything from blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels and Triglycerides have changed dramatically. One side affect though I lost 25 lbs!â€“ Mark Wunder
It definitely works for me!
About 30 days ago my sugar level was 495. Donâ€™t know if this natural product works for everybody but it sure worked for me.â€“ William Thompson
My energy levels are up!
My name is Steve and I have type 2 Diabetes- I have a noticeable improvement in energy but cannot find anywhere in your literature why my eyesight has improved- I guess the important thing is that it has!â€“ Steve O